I’m no expert in cooking so I didn’t get to include the exact measurements of the ingredients, I just really love baked mac and my mom who usually makes this lives far from me so I have no choice but to make it myself. Plus the bakedmacs in restaurants just don’t give me those giddy cheesy feels. The pasta filling can vary from elbow macaroni to penne or even spaghetti and the tuna filling can be minced beef or chicken or even vegetables, whatever you like is A okay!
I pack elbow macaroni (about 800g)
Two cans of tuna (in oil or water, doesn’t matter)
1 can sliced mushrooms (just wanted to add another ingredient)
1 pack Tomato Sauce
Mixture of different herbs (basil, oregano etc.)
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil and Vegetable oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan, add in chopped onions and garlic and wait till onions become translucent, then add in the mushrooms and the canned tunas. I used one spicy tuna in can to add a kick to the otherwise overwhelming cheese flavor later on.
- After adding the canned tunas, you can then add in the tomato sauce and let it simmer for about 3mins then add in the tomato paste to make the sauce look more put-together. You know it.
- You can now add your different herbs and salt and pepper for flavor.
- Before your pasta fully cooks or reaches its al dente state, get it out from the heat as it will still continue to cook, plus it will get baked anyway. Put it in your baking pan/dish and drizzle a little olive oil on top so the pasta won’t stick to each other. You can then mix in your sauce mixture in the baking dish.
Creamy Cheesy Topping
1 can evaporated milk
1 pack heavy cream (I used Nestle cream)
1 8oz block of cream cheese
- Mix all three ingredients in a saucepan on low heat, these are the evaporated milk, heavy cream and your block of cream cheese.
- When the creams and cheeses are well mixed you can now spread it on top of your pasta in the baking dish and sprinkle grated cheese for as much as you like.